Welcome, little Metta

Posted by Wood | Wednesday, July 08, 2009 | , ,

Our niece Metta was born last Friday. Like our Gram, she made her parents wait a week past her due date. I was itching to sew something for her, but I wanted to wait until she was born. I wasn't sure exactly what I'd make, but once she was born and I saw the adorable pictures of her during her first moments I knew I wanted to make her the kimono shirt from Heather Ross' Weekend Sewing. Kimono-style shirts are great for newborns, because you don't have to pull them over their fragile little heads and necks, and they leave space for the healing umbilical cord.

I made baby Metta a shirt from the same fabric I used to make her sister a smocked dress a few weeks ago. Instead of using the bias tape called for in the pattern, I made the trim with pink floral fabric. Heather calls the pattern the easiest one in her book, and I'm not sure if that's true, or if I was just having off day. Either way, this tiny shirt took me longer to assemble than the smocked dress, but as with all patterns, now that I know how it comes together, in theory it should be quicker next time.

Welcome, little Metta! I can't wait to introduce you to your Detroit cousins.

(p.s. I've been doing a lot of sewing lately, so I'll have more to share soon.)